Monday, September 27, 2010

Can't Hurry the Harvest

Last night I went to a benefit at M Bar in Hollywood being held for a family with a 3 year old with Down's syndrome. Over a year ago, the parents found their daughter unconcious on the floor. The paramedics came, and they took her to the hospital. After tests the parents were told she had leukemia. She had already had reparative heart surgery at 5 months old. She just completed her leukemia treatment, but the family, of course, has been saddled with bills.

There was an amazing lineup of performers, headlined by Katey Segal, who sang a song of hers from the mid-90's called "Can't Hurry the Harvest", which I was struck by. She was great, and her 16 year old daughter came up and sang a couple of songs she wrote and played on the piano - she reminded me of Laura Nyro. I guess it's ever so, but there were a couple of teenagers who seemed so much more self-posessed and together than I ever thought about at 16.

Anyway, it was a night of great talent and heart. It's upsetting that there have to be these kind of things at all, but it's great when people can come together and do it. So that's good news.

I did also see "The Glass Menagerie" and "Never Let Me Go" this weekend, but those are all about sadness, so that will be another post.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That sounds wonderful. I have a blogger friend whose three year old daughter has Down's Syndrome and had cancer as well. I wonder if the two could be in touch with one another. The mother is a real advocate and lives down in Orange County. Let me know, too, if there's any way that I could help the family -- a donation, etc.

Heather said...

I'm Heather,mom to Zoey,that I think Elizabeth is referring to.Sounds like me,except I am up north in Ventura County,I do however have a friend in Orange county whose daughter has DS as well and in under going leukemia treatment as well ... no matter really,as my reason for commenting is that we are all community here and are willing to outstretch our hands and hearts, in anyway we can.When you have walked this walk,no matter if you are strangers or longtime friends,we are connected the moment we were dropped into the world of pediatric cancer.

If you have a way,please give the family our blog address and perhaps we can touch base.We also have started a blanket project and distribute blankets to children undergoing treatment.Would love to get her a blanket.

Thanks so much.Have a great night.

Criticlasm said...

Excellent - thank you both! I sent him a facebook email with links, so hopefully you'll hear from him or I will. Keep you posted!